Monday, April 23, 2012

You're One Smart Cookie!

     This week we are completing our standardized tests.  Although the math tests are typically not as grueling as the language arts tests, my second graders will be tired and I would like them to have some fun throughout the week.  One way I enjoy making learning fun (as much for me as for my kids) is to incorporate lots of hands-on activities during math instructional time.

     I love math games and activities that review multiplication and division concepts.  I usually bring food items in to practice placing them in groups and arrays, as well as to divide them up.  This year I have a student on a strict gluten-free diet, so I created an activity using paper cookies instead of the real thing.  They aren't as tasty, but they are cute clip art images from Scrappin Doodles and I don't have to worry about disinfecting little hands.

Click here for TpT Store





Click here for Teachers Notebook Store

     Today I had my students work on the multiplication Cookies and Cookie Jars activity at a math center.  They cooperatively acted out the twelve word problems presented to them using the paper cookies and cookie jars.  Once they agreed on a solution, each student recorded their multiplication equations and answers on a recording sheet.  

     Tomorrow my students will again work in small groups to solve the twelve division word problems included in the game called Pigging Out!  They will have to divide the cookies between the pigs, making sure each pig gets his fair share.  They will then complete the recording sheet included in the activity while munching on a gluten-free cookie.  I sure hope they taste OK because they were expensive!

     I would love your feedback on the You're One Smart Cookie! activities.  If you decide to download it and use it in your classroom, please let me know how it went and if you went "gluten-free" or used the real thing!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment