Monday, May 21, 2012

Classroom DIY With Paint Chips

     Happy Monday! I hope you had a great weekend. I'm so envious of those of you who have started your summer break, but as I assess my students and do standards based report cards this week I will try to focus on the fact that we only have nine more days before summer vacation. Can't wait!

    How many times have you seen an idea on Pinterest that made you think, "Wow! That's genius!" and you kicked yourself for not thinking of it sooner? This weekend I went to a paint store with my husband to buy paint for our our home and remembered seeing a pin showing paint chips (the long strips) being used as bookmarks in a classroom. Bingo! I asked the store clerk if I could take a class set of them and he gave me a HUGE stack held together with a screw that could easily be removed. SCORE! I now had more than I knew what to do with, so I went home and checked out Pinterest for more ideas. I found another genius idea that I will prep this summer for my reading centers next year. Check out this idea from Kari at The Snail's Trail for directions!

                                                     Source: thesnailstrail.blogspot.com via Joy on Pinterest

   
     This idea would make a great art project to display on a bulletin board. The image was pinned by the creator, Cwc Cassidy.

                                                          Source: Uploaded by user via Cwc on Pinterest


     This is another idea I am planning on using next year. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the original source on Pinterest, so I shouldn't post a copy of the image. However, it's easy to visualize. Cut strips of paint colors apart and glue them onto a 12x18" piece of tag board or construction paper to make a game board. I am going to make a few general boards so I can use them to play all kinds of games throughout the year.  How easy is that?  I will post pictures when I make them!

4 comments:

  1. Love this! I wonder if I send a letter to my local stores if they'd be willing to keep the old samples for us.

    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class Blog is Having a Giveaway!
    My TpT Store

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! It helps to stop in and ask in person, though. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. This looks fun and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very fun! I'm making my game boards tonight and my husband is laughing at me for being choosy about colors. It's great to have choices!

      Delete