Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day Gifts

Phew!  We made it!  Mother's Day gifts are now home and I can sit down for a bit.  I feel less stressed out now that a major holiday gift has been completed, but I also think about the four short days I have to get my room ready for Open House next Thursday night.  I need some serious rest this weekend in order to gear up for the craziness I will endure!  Although that sounds negative, I actually love all of the fun things we are doing right now.

My Mother's Day gifts are so cute!  Wendy A., a teacher I worked with for two years, was kind enough to share a wonderful idea with my grade level team.  She showed us cards, stationary, and pocket holders she made with her students.  I experimented with different packaging ideas, perused many Mailbox resource books, and eventually came up with this.



First, I drew a plain strawberry and an exact replica with tiny seeds and the message "For My Berry Special Mother!".  I then drew leaves that could be placed on the strawberry you see above.  I copied them onto red and green paper.  Students each cut out both strawberries and then cut the seeded one down the middle so it was in two pieces.  We then glued the outer edges of the seeded one onto the plain strawberry to create two "doors".  The letter "G" is written on one of the strawberries so the kids know where to glue their doors.  Students wrote a  message inside the strawberry when the doors were dry.




Next, students folded a piece of construction paper in half like a book, opened it, and folded the bottom about one-third of the way up the sheet.  We stapled both sides to create a pocket that holds their handmade cards and envelopes.


Next, I gave the students 4 x 5 1/4" pieces of white copy paper.  They were instructed to draw a simple picture and border with black markers.  I collected them and taped two students' artwork onto the bottom of  8 1/2 x 11" papers.  I tried to center them so that when I copied them, each picture would be centered on their cards.



Next, I photocopied each paper five times onto card stock and gave the copies to the students.  They carefully folded their cards in half and colored them with markers.  When finished, they needed to write "Made By _____" on the back of each card.




I then had them place them in the left pocket of their holder and gave them five invitation envelopes (bought at Staples) to place on the other side.  They closed the pockets and I punched a hole in the side so they could tie it shut with a ribbon.  We glued the strawberries on the front (see first picture) and it was complete.


I hope you try this next year and enjoy it as much as I do each time my students make it.  Let me know if you have questions about how to make it.  Happy Friday!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting! I love the little treat pops on your blog. I need to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea. I am your newest follower!

    www.loveofteachingkimberly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I like the Were You Absent idea. I'm a follower, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. like the ideas..i love them all..thanks you share it.Gift Card envelopes.

    ReplyDelete