Monday, June 11, 2012

Daily 5 Craze and New Sight Word Bingo Game

     Hopefully you are enjoying your summer break or are incredibly close to getting there!  I am one week into my vacation time and am trying not to think about having only six more weeks before my year round school starts up again.  I love the frequent breaks during the school year, so it is worth having the shorter summers!

    While interviewing potential principals this summer (more info. to come), I've also been bitten by the The Daily 5 bug.  I began reading about it on blogs and seeing pins on Pinterest in April.  Now I've read the book, downloaded all the Daily 5 freebies I could find in teacher stores, and am trying to come up with a fun theme to use when I create my posters and Cafe items.  Next I will begin to create word work activities and set up a bookshelf with all of the necessary supplies.  I really hope I enjoy implementing it in my classroom this year because it's a huge shift from the structured Workshop/Center approach I have been using for the past fourteen years.  If you use Daily 5 in your classroom and have any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

     During the first week of school I like to begin working on improving my students' sight word skills.  Students at my school are encouraged to know the first one hundred Fry's words when they enter second grade, but I try to get them through as many lists as possible by the end of the year.  One fun way to introduce, review, and assess students is by playing Sight Word Bingo.

Click HERE for TpT and HERE for Teachers Notebook
      I have created four Sight Word Bingo games for words one through four hundred and will continue to create more games for the rest of the list.  I first introduce List 1 (see Sight Word Bingo Game #1) to my students by having them read them to me and record a small star in pencil next to any words they missed.  I then have them cut out the words and place them in a baggie to practice until they know them pretty well.  We then glue the words (in any order) onto empty Bingo game boards (see game in one of my teacher stores for details) and play Bingo as a whole group.  If I think students need more review, I keep their game boards and have them play again a few more times in small groups.

     Students love playing the game and I love the fact that I can use the boards as assessment forms when we have spent some time practicing the words.  I just have students read the words on their boards to me and erase the penciled stars next to the words they have mastered since our introduction.  I record the words students still don't know in my anecdotal notes to review/assess during their reading group time and send the game board home with instructions to parents to practice the starred words.  This keeps parents informed of their child's progress and gives them an opportunity to play an engaging game at home vs. using flash cards.

     If you teach or need to review sight words with your students, check out my Sight Word Bingo games at Teachers Pay Teachers or Teachers Notebook

12 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower and a brand new blogger. I would love for you to check out my blog -

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOH! How I loooovvve Daily 5! I am super excited you are taking the plunge! It's wonderful. I started it Christmas time 2 years ago. My kids LOVED it. And they loved reading. I mean, they were taking books to lunch and recess, they were reading together during free time. This year I even had students reading during MOVIES. During holiday parties when a Pixar or animated movie was put on (very rare occasions mind you!) I had kids READING INSTEAD. It blew my mind! :) My advice would be take it slow. It'll be hard during the first few weeks to get all the behaviors down, but its absolutely worth it. They truly are able to be independent. It just takes lots and lots and lots of practice :) Best thing I've ever done in reading however :)

    Amanda
    Ms. Wilkie's Second Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather! Thanks for following me. I followed you as well. I love your blog. I am teaching 2nd grade and also discovered the Daily 5 in April. I have read both books and downloaded everything I could find also. Maybe we can communicate and go through this together this year. Email me if you are interested. I will give you my cell number and we can text.

    Jennifer
    Grade2Happenings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Your blog and ideas are great! I would love to touch base with you this year regarding Daily 5. I'm overwhelmed right now and am just trying to set up the basics to prepare for it. I'll email you.:)

      Delete
  4. Hi!! I just found your blog. I am your newest follower.

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a fan of your blog. Thank you for following mine!

      Delete
  5. Love the Daily 5!

    I just found your blog & I'm your newest follower. Come and check out my blog when you have a moment.

    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done Daily 5 for 2 years and it is definitely time intensive in the beginning and overwhelming, but it is much easier to manage than literacy centers because you are not having to change out as many things each week. The kids do like it, but I found with my group last year if I let them choose their station every day they would ALL want to go to Listen to Reading because it involved using computers....of course. :) So I made a rotation chart where they go to two stations per day. It is very confusing when you read the book because you think you are supposed to be able to do all 5 stations in one day, but that is NOT feasible. And the Sisters have even said that in later publications. 2-3 rounds is about all you can fit in a day. Email me and I will send you whatever I have for you to use.... simplysweetteaching@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Great advice and I would love to have whatever you are willing to share! I have been trying to figure out how to make it work for my students and think I can get three rotations in at the most each day. I was wondering how anyone could do five in a day. Phew! I'll email you for some more advice. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. HiHeather,
    I just found your blog and have been reading through the posts. It's exciting to hire a new principal. I hope it goes well for you. :) I have been doing Daily 5 for three years now. I have posts on my blog on how to get started if you're interested. I am your newest blog follower and TPT follower.

    Erica
    Sprinkles to Kindergarten
    erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete