Sunday, September 9, 2012

Peace Books

Last week I read The Peace Book by Todd Parr to my class and we began creating our own peace books.  It is a wonderfully simple, but powerful book about taking care of the world and accepting everyone. Each page of the book has one statement about peace and a bold illustration to match.  Sorry about the glare!
 We discussed the meaning of peace and the details in the illustrations at length before starting our own books.  I then gave the students paper with two lines on it so they could write one sentence starting with the words Peace is. After checking their spelling and handwriting, I asked them to trace their words with black marker. Then came the fun part!  They illustrated their pages using Todd Parr's style.  They used black markers to draw simple objects and then bright markers to color the details.

 Aren't these pages cute?  We will spend several weeks creating more pages to add to our books and when finished students will receive a stapled book like the one below.  They will color the cover with markers and I will save them for Open House in the spring.  Parents love them!
You can download this freebie!  Just click on the image below to access it.  Have fun!
  

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea. This post and that sweet little book makes my heart happy!

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelley! It's an adorable story and the kids take their books very seriously.

      Delete
  2. That is a great idea! I will have to find that book. It would be a great book to read during Martin Luther King, Jr. week. I recommend "The North Star" on my blog. I think you might like it. Peter Reynolds is the illustrator and their site provides free posters. You should check it out. I love the message. Thank you for sharing! I love your blog layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I love their artwork. I might have to do something similar. We have a young author's fair and this would be the perfect type of thing to do for it!


    What i have learned

    ReplyDelete