Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Monster Party and Free Day After Halloween Writing Prompts

Last week my students created their own pet monsters and made pet monster manuals.  Each monster was hand drawn onto 12x18 construction paper and details were added using scraps of paper.  I LOVE the manuals and wish I could share them with you, but they came from an old Mailbox Magazine resource book.  Sorry!



 Aren't they adorable?  My class loved this project and was excited to spend the rest of the week reading and writing about monsters.  This is an anchor chart we made as we reviewed adjectives and verbs.
Coincidentally,  my students earned a class party. We decided it would be fun to have a Monster Mash with cupcakes and the movie Monsters, Inc.  They were in charge of coming up with ideas, but when I threw that one in, they went for it.  Phew!  It's a good thing since I had already bought all of the supplies!

It was so much fun and the kids thoroughly enjoyed decorating their own monster cupcakes.  We used spray frosting and added candy eyeballs, which were perfect for the activity. 

This week has been crazy (is it Friday yet?) and tomorrow we will have all kinds of fun to celebrate Halloween at my school.  I created the following writing prompts in preparation for Thursday when I will be dragging my feet and wanting a calm, quiet day with a little reflection time during Work on Writing and Writer's Workshop.  If you would like to download it from TpT, just click on the picture below.  Happy writing!

2 comments:

  1. hello Heather,

    Just to tell you that I loved your blog and I am happy to be your newest follower.
    Will keep up with you.

    Lusine
    Enjoy Teaching English

    ReplyDelete