Monday, October 1, 2012

October Fun Begins... Now!

It's October 1st, which means my favorite holiday month of the year is here! So, instead of relaxing in the sun on this 100 degree day (I'm on Fall Break), I am planning October activities for my classroom.  It's very difficult to pick and choose what I am going to do since there are amazing products popping up every day on blogs and teacher stores, and let's be honest, I want to do it all!

Here's the plan...

Art/Crafts - I have decided to use one of two following art/craft project ideas to kick things off the first day back.  They both are inspired by the cute clip art out there and I love them. 

1. Miss Kindergartens's adorable Witch Craft - Craft and Writing Templates 
Isn't this cute?!  You lift the cauldron and place one of a variety of options under it.  I would have my class write about what they think should go into her brew.  Could be funny! 
 OR
2. Art Projects For Kids Funny Witch Feet
This is done with oil pastels and watercolors.  I love the hanging spider and the fact that it's a guided drawing, which means students have freedom to be artistic.

Not sure which one to do yet. Hmmm...

Math - I am going to incorporate Kathy Law's Add with the Cat addition games and Hope King's Spooktacular Halloween Math Centers into my math center time, which I do four afternoons each week.  Each activity will go inside one of my Pinterest inspired math bins.  I'll post more about that another day!


Language Arts - My class is going to have fun during Daily 5!
Work on Writing -  I will prep and set out Robin Sellers' Halloween Trick or Treat Story Starters.  Have you seen these?  They are so great!  Simply attach the story starters to pencils and place them at your center/station area so students can grab one and start writing away...
Word Work - I just completed my newest product and am excited to use several of the activities for Word Work.  It's called Spooky Halloween Grammar Fun! and it is aligned with the Common Core Language Standards.  I'll post more about it this week because there are lots of activities and I am proud of how it turned out.  Here are pictures of the Very, Scary, Big and Hairy Synonym Game:

Listen to Reading - I have lots of Fall books for my students to listen to, but my favorite is I Need My Monster.  If you haven't read this one, you MUST get it!  It's so funny and we create our own pet monsters complete with a pet monster manual.  More info. and pictures to come!
Well, as much as I want to go on with ideas, I will space them out throughout the next week.  Check in to read more about my math centers, pet monsters, and new Spooky Halloween Grammar Fun product. 

What are your favorite October projects?

5 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I loved reading everything. I love the witch craft!

    MrsMc from Buzz! Buzz! Buzz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can go on and on with Halloween fun. I will this week... :)

      Heather

      Delete
  2. Hello Heather ! I just discovered your blog at Surfin' Through Second. Love all the posts I have read so far. Enjoy your break.....my husband and I were just reminiscing about our trip to CA and wine country, then I found your blog, it is fate. Thanks for sharing so many great ideas, espc. Daily 5 tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks! Hopefully you can come back to CA wine country one day. I'll pour you some vino!

      Heather

      Delete