Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Best Social Studies Project Ever!

If you are like me, you enjoy teaching social studies and science through hands-on experiences and projects rather than just reading from textbooks.  About ten years ago, teachers in another district introduced me to Market Day, an amazing project that correlates with CA second grade social studies standards.  I've since learned that many schools do it at different grade levels, which is great because students learn so much through the process that it's amazing!  Read about it below and download your starter kit at the end of this post.

In second grade, students have to learn about producers and consumers as well as goods and services.  At the beginning of the year, I use my social studies curriculum to introduce the terms and tell my students they will actually have the chance to act as producers and consumers.  At my school we give "Panther Paws" for good behavior, so I tell them that in our classroom it is like money.  They will earn as many as they can before our first Market Day at the end of the first trimester.

Here are some students getting ready to sell some goods and services:

 Throughout the trimester, students have many opportunities to earn Panther Paws and are responsible for saving them.  At the end of the trimester, they are sent home with a parent letter (see my freebie below) describing how Market day works.  Basically, students may run a booth that sells goods or services and close their booths for awhile so they can shop at other booths.  Some students choose to just be consumers, but most choose to have a booth. We spend lots of time discussing the types of goods and services that would be appealing to second graders and I encourage them to price their items accordingly.  We always set a limit of 5 the first trimester and 10 the second and third trimesters.

Here are some more students and their booths.  Notice the signs! 


  We just had our first Market Day this year and it was a success!  All second graders at my school participated, which makes it way more fun.  Students arrived in the morning with all of their booth items (games, face painting, crafts, etc.) and a poster naming their booths.  This is a suit brought by a boy who wanted to dress up to sell his items.  How cute is that?
 In the afternoon, parents arrived to help up set up the booths (we moved desks and tables around the room) and then I rang a bell for Market Day to begin.  Students had the option of opening their shops to earn money or closing them while they spent money.  If closed signs were up, no one could shop at their booths. The event was over in an hour and students are dying to do it again at the end of the next trimester.

I highly encourage you to try it out!  You can do it once a year or several times a year, depending on your schedule.  You can also opt to use your school's behavior incentives or the ones I created in my freebie below.  The first file includes food items as part of Market Day and the second file excludes it as an option in case you don't want anyone to bring food to the event.

Click on the link below to download the Market Day file that includes food:
 Click on the link below to download the Market Day file that does not include food:
   
Just add a text box to the parent letter to add a date and you are set!  I'm planning on creating a Market Day product for my store that will include activities to do before and after the event.  I can't wait to post it soon!  Thanks for hanging in there with this long post.  I've been so excited to write about Market Day and hope to get feedback about how you will/would use it in your classroom!

2 comments:

  1. This is so great! We (myself and partner 2nd grade teacher) are going to attempt a Market Day in our classrooms this year! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! We (myself and partner 2nd grade teacher) are going to attempt a Market Day in our classrooms this year! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete